Re: stringtointeger - reformatting?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:29:14 -0700 (MST)

Hi Micah,

It shouldn't matter whether your strings have spaces in them. If you
use "stringtointeger" to convert it to an integer, the string " 5 "
should give you an integer:

ncl 0> s = " 5 "
ncl 1> i = stringtointeger(s)
ncl 2> print(i)
Variable: i
Type: integer
Total Size: 4 bytes
             1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [1]
Coordinates:
(0) 5
ncl 3>

This integer, then, should be usable in any function that expects an
integer.

I suspect that the error message you're getting is from something
else. Perhaps if you sent me a few lines of code around where the
error message is occurring, I will be able to tell what the problem
is.

One possibility is that for whatever function you are calling, the
variable you have on the left hand side already exists, and is not the
same type as what the function is trying to return.

--Mary