Re: vibeta and uv2dvF for moisture divergence

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 16:08:41 MST

The WRF files I am familiar with are not global.
Nor are they on a rectilinear grid. [gaussian, regular/fixed spacing].

The spherical harmonic function require a global, gaussian,
regular/fixed grid.
Further missing values are not allowed.

Basically, you can not do what you want to do with existing functions.

I suggest you contact " wrfhelp@ucar.edu "

Good luck

Yan Bao wrote:
> Hi, everyone
> I'd like to calculate moisture flux divergence from WRF output ,
> in which Vibeta function is used for integrating the Qflux firstly ,
> and uv2dvF function is used for the divergence calculating. My
> questions are like:
> 1. If you have current function to make it ,or that's the only way I
> can do it ;
> 2. Could I can use vibeta function directly with data at a sigma level
> instead of getting a sigma to P conversion ?If so, how I can do it?
No.
> 3. What the linlog =2 (nonlinear, log interploation) will be used in
> vibeta function?
> 4. How people process the missing data in vibeta function, I get some
> missing data in surface layers at and below 850mb?
It ignores it.
> 5. I have a specific question about the dismatched dimension problem
> about "x" and psfc, could you help me to fix it?(error message: fatal:
> Number of dimensions on right hand side do not match number of
> dimension in left hand side
> fatal: Execute: Error occured at or near line 82 in file quv.test.ncl)
>
> Thanks very much for help.
>
> YAN
>

> PS: the script I made ,U, V, Q have interploated into p-level.

> p=(/1000.,925.,....50,30, 20,10) ;17 ncep level
> u= a->U(:,:,0:114,0:126); 17L
> v= a->V(:,:,0:114,0:126);17L
> q= a->Q(:,:,0:114,0:126);17L
> psfc = a->PSFC(:,0:114,0:126)
> linlog =1
> qu =q*u*1000
> qv =q*v*1000
> ptop =300.
> pbot =1000.
>
> 82 vint_qu=vibeta(p,qu, linlog,psfc,pbot,ptop)/9.8 !!!problem line
> 83 vint_qv=vibeta(p,qv, linlog,psfc,pbot,ptop)/9.8 !!!problem line
>
> dv=uv2dvF(vint_qu, vint_qv)
> uvd =dv2uvF(dv)

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |