checking index locations in a long number

From: JEFFREY JOSEPH WATERS <jjw348_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Dec 27 2010 - 10:15:10 MST

NCL,
I am currently reading in serial numbers that correspond to TC events and
locations over the last 20 years.
YYYYJJJHTTNNN

YYYY is the corresponding year of the first recorded observation of the storm
JJJ is the day of year of the first recorded observation of the storm
H is the hemisphere of the storm: N=Northern, S=Southern
TT is the absolute value of the rounded latitude of the first recorded
observation of the storm (range 0-90, if basin=SA or SH, then TT in reality is
negative)
NNN is the rounded longitude of the first recorded observation of the storm
(range 0-359)I was wondering if NCL has a way to analyze only certain locations
(i.e. index locations 5-7, or the JJJ values) within this serial number.
Perhaps an if-else check of some sort? I was having trouble finding any useful
method or function on the NCL site. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank
you.

Jeff Waters
Graduate Student
Department of Meteorology