Re: Zonal/meridional area averaged variable plot in pop model and MOC calculation

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2011 - 22:09:48 MST

On 1/5/11 7:55 PM, ranzhg wrote:
> Hi,
> For making a plot of zonal/meridional area averaged variable plot from
> pop results, it's more difficult than treating with atmosphere model
> results because of its 2-dimension latitude or longitude, I don't know
> how to express correctly the latitude or longitude when using
> 'gsn_csm_xy' function to draw this plot.

Please see: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/pop2lat.shtml

Use the appropriate SCRIP weight file. Likely, it can be downloaded from:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/popwgtfiles.shtml

After the interpolation to a rectilinear grid: (say) x(time,lev,lat,lon)
the zonal average can be calculent

   xZon = dim_avg_n_Wrap(x,2) ; xZon(time,lev,lat)

  do nt=0,ntim-1
     do nk=0,klev-1

           plot = gsn_csm_xy(wks, xZon&lat, xZon(nt,kl,:), res)

    end do
 end do

You can also do vertical cross section.
See Example 3

> Besides, I try to calculation the MOC in pop model using the example
> code list in
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/moc_globe_atl.shtml
> , the globle MOC looks good but the Atlantic MOC looks bad, any
> suggestions about how to caculation the Atlantic MOC is helpful.

Not sure what is "bad".