Re: Labelbar issue

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 08:49:46 MST

On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Xin Xi wrote:

> Thanks a lot to Adam Phillips for the previous help on label bar.
> I am having another problem. I want to put the land cover category name on the figure. I made two tries - first, I used gsn_text_ndc, but it appeared too crowded, and it doesnot look good to squeeze those text below the labelbar. Changing paper margin doesnot work in this case. The figure is here: http://labara.eas.gatech.edu/~xxi3/lctype_usgs.pdf

Xin,

Right now you have four columns of text strings, each with 6 rows. Perhaps you could do 3 columns of text each with 8 rows? Or, you could try moving the second column to the right a little.

Part of the issue may be that the plot is already taking up a good part of the screen. You can make your plot smaller by setting the vpWidthF and vpHeightF resources to values between 0 and 1, and making sure that you *don't* have gsnMaximize set to True. You may also want to set vpYF to some higher value, like 0.9 (you may have to try several values) to move the plot up. This will allow you force more space underneath the plot where you can put extra text.

You can try moving the labelbar closer to the plot by setting pmLabelBarOrthogonalPosF to some small negative number (start with -0.01).

You could also make the labelbar vertical (lbOrientation = "vertical") so the labelbar is on the side of your plot, and thus you'll have even more room at the bottom for text.

> Alternately I tried to use lbstring, but it doesnot look better than the text option. Plus, how can I make the lbstring align left (right beside) the color bar? Figure is here: http://labara.eas.gatech.edu/~xxi3/lctype.pdf

If you just want to label the labelbar directly, then move it to the side with res@lbOrientation = "vertical", and then set res@lbLabelStrings to the text strings you want.

See example 4 at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml#ex4

--Mary