setting top value for vertical cross-sections

From: Kelly Mahoney <Kelly.Mahoney_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue May 03 2011 - 14:21:45 MDT

Hi,
I'm still struggling with generating vertical cross-sections in NCL.
My latest hurdle is trying to only plot a portion of the model vertical
domain: while I can find many tickmark/"tm" resources that manipulate
the axis labeling itself, I'm having trouble actually limiting the data
getting plotted.

 From the sample scripts online, I'm using the following general logic
in my script:

z = wrf_user_getvar(a, "z",0) ; grid point height

; get height info for labels
     zmin = 0.

     ;top of model height (km)
     zmax = max(z)/1000.

     ;number of levels
     nz = floattoint(zmax/2 + 1)

    dim = dimsizes(rh_plane)
           ; Find the data span - for use in labels
     zspan = dim(0)

     opts_xy@tmYLValues = fspan(0,zspan,nz) ; Create tick marks
     opts_xy@tmYLLabels = sprintf("%.1f",fspan(zmin,zmax,nz)) ;
Create labels

However, even setting zmax to some manual level (say, 8000, if I wanted
to plot up to 8km only), only changes the axis labels and not the data
being plotted.

Perhaps more generally, how do you hardwire the limits of the data
actually being plotted (as opposed to just min/maxing the data itself to
get axis labels?)

I have a feeling this question falls into the incredibly-basic category,
but I'm stuck!
Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!
Kelly