Re: wrf_user_latlon_to_ij usage

From: Paula Doubrawa Moreira <pmoreira_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Sep 02 2011 - 13:29:45 MDT

I also often need to use a function that is not available on the version of
ncl that I run on the university cluster.

If the function is available in an ncl script (like this one is) I just
download the latest version of the script and save it in my own root
directory. Then I just load it as

load "~/*WRFUserARW_v6.ncl" *and the function is there.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Chris Klich <caklich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am currently using an older version of NCL (version 5.0.0) due to
> library issues on my network cluster. Therefore, I am not able to use
> wrf_ij_to_ll yet, which would most likely do what I need to do. However, I
> am trying to find the i,j point closest to my ref_lat and ref_lon for my
> inner (second) domain. Because I am using WRF/Chem, I need to know the
> center point in domain 2 to build my chemical emissions. As of right now, I
> am just guessing lat/lon points and running the script:
>
> *load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRF_contributed.ncl"
> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl"
>

> begin
>
> a = addfile("/sully/r0/cklich/WRF/wrfout_d02_2008-04-18_06:00:00.nc","r")
> ;Open file for reading
>
> loc = wrf_user_latlon_to_ij(a, 40, 145)
> print("Y/X location is: " +loc)
>

> end*
>
> until I receive the i,j that is exactly in the middle of the domain. For
> example, if the grid size is 250x250, I guess points until I receive an i,j
> that is 125, 125. However, I have also read that this function's array is
> base 0, not base 1. Does this mean when I use this function I have to guess
> points until it is 124,124? Also, is there any easier way this can be done
> until I am able to upgrade NCL?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Christopher Klich