Re: CALIPSO 532nm extinction coefficient plot in ncl

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2011 - 14:14:38 MDT

Just to update everybody else on this: we got the file, and worked offline to get a script to plot the data.

We couldn't see the altitude values when opening the file with NCL, because they are part of a "vgroup" on the HDF file. NCL doesn't support vgroup data.

Wei used hdfview to pull the altitude values off the HDF file, and we wrote these to an ASCII file. We were then able to use these values for the Y coordinates of the data.

The Latitude/Longitude coordinate arrays were dimensioned nx3. Vani said that the values were basically the same for each 1D section of the rightmost dimension, so we just arbitrarily pulled a 1D section off and used this for the X coordinate array.

The final issue is that the data had missing values, but the HDF file had no indication of this. We had to assign a _FillValue attribute manually.

--Mary