Re: ncl

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2011 - 10:51:28 MDT

Try setting:

res@gsnScalarContour =True

This will tell the function to draw the "p" contours as contour lines, rather than coloring the u,v field according to p.

There are better ways to do this, however, if you want more control over each aspect of your various plots.

Instead of using gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map, you can first call gsn_csm_vector_map to create the vectors over the map,
the "gsm_csm_contour" to create the contours, and then "overlay" to overlay everything:

;---Set vector and map resources
vcres = True
vcres@vcXXXX = ....
vcres@mpXXX = ...
vcres@gsnDraw = False
vcres@gsnFrame = False
vcres@gsnMaximize = True
.
.
.
map = gsn_csm_vector_map(wks,u(::2,::2),v(::2,::2),vcres)

;---Set contour resources
cnres = True
cnres@gsnDraw = False
cnres@gsnFrame = False
cnres@cnXXXX = ....
.
.
.
contour = gsn_csm_contour(wks,p(::2,::2),cnres)

;---Overlay contours on vector/map plot
overlay(map,cotour)

;---Drawing "map" will draw the vector/map plot and the contours
draw(map)
frame(wks)

For complete examples of using "overlay", see the overlay example page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/overlay.shtml

--Mary