Re: Converting axis coordinates

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 15:56:26 MDT

Hi Gerry,
Does your model1Ssh array have associated latitude/longitude coordinate
variables? You can see if it does by using printVarSummary:
printVarSummary(model1Ssh)

You should see something like this:

Variable: model1Ssh
<snip>
Coordinates:
             time: [17067072..17618592]
             lat: [90..-90]
             lon: [ 0..357.5]
(Last 3 lines show the coordinate variables.)

If coordinate variables aren't present, you need to assign them. Looking
at your script though, I see you are doing this:
model1Ssh=100 * model1->sea_surface_height_above_sea_level
This will result in only the data being passed from the right-hand side
of the equal sign to the left-hand side, and not the coordinate
variables associated with sea_surface_height_above_sea_level array.

I'd recommend changing this:
model1Ssh=100 * model1->sea_surface_height_above_sea_level
to this:
model1Ssh=model1->sea_surface_height_above_sea_level
model1Ssh = model1Ssh*100

I would venture to guess that that will fix your coordinate variables,
and therefore the lats/lons shown on your plot...

As far as the land mask issue: As you are plotting SSH there is no data
over land, so those areas are getting color filled white. You need to
tell NCL to color fill the map after the contour field gets color
filled. Try setting res@mpFillDrawOrder = "PostDraw", and set
res@mpLandFillColor = "gray70", as you are adding gray70 to your
colormap, and it's best to exactly specify the color your want NCL to use.

Let the group know if that doesn't solve everything..
Adam