Overlay with polylines/text

From: Daniel Adriaansen <dadriaan_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 31 2011 - 08:23:10 MDT

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to create a complex overlay plot consisting of a map on
one side with an xy sounding plot on the other side. I have
successfully gotten the map, legend for the map, polymarkers on the map,
the xy plot, and some text added on the xy plot using gsn_text_ndc(). I
then wanted to add two polylines on top of the xy plot, and will
eventually want to add more text as well however I am having trouble
getting the lines to appear. I think all I need is help deciphering the
order in which to draw the map, overlay the xy plot object on the map,
and add all my text and polylines using the gsn_xxx() functions. I have
tried multiple orders of drawing, framing, and overlaying and can't seem
to get the lines to appear. I'd appreciate any feedback/suggestions.
The script below will run and create images so you can see what the
images currently look like.

The script and required input files can be found at:

http://rap.ucar.edu/staff/dadriaan/ncl/ncl_example.tar.gz

Please execute the script using the command (requires ncl-6.0.0 or later):

ncl example.ncl 'yyyymmdd="20101231"' 'hr="00"'

Thanks in advance.

-Dan