Re: question about NCL and OPeNDAP

From: Carl Schreck <carl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 31 2011 - 06:49:39 MDT

Cathy,

I'm using 6.0.0 on 64-bit, and I also occasionally have issues with opening
OpenDap files. In my case, I noticed that the time coordinate would be
somehow garbled (all dates would be 01-01-0001 or something like that). So
here is what I added to my script to test for that:

--
inFile = addfile( inPath, "r" )
time = inFile->time
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Mary Haley <haley@ucar.edu> wrote:
> Cathy,
>
> I think the only think you can do is use isfilepresent to see if the file
> exists before you try to read it.
>
> You also have an older version of NCL. I'm not sure upgrading would help,
> but it would certainly get you a newer
> version of the opendap capabilities that are built into NCL. This *might*
> improve the problem you're having.
>
> --Mary
>
> On Oct 28, 2011, at 10:12 AM, Cathy Smith wrote:
>
> Users
> I ran into a problem using OPeNAP in NCL to read files. 95% of the time it
> works fine.
> The other 5 percent a file doesn't open. I can see the open error in log
> files
> and it is an OPeNDAP issue and not something on my part. I would like to
> trap an error condition so I can either keep trying or at least exit
> gracefully. I don't see a way to do this in NCL. Is there a way? I looked
> at the nil-talk archive and
> someone had a similar question with no solution but was hoping there is
> now a solution.
>
> I am using 5.1.1 linux 32bit NCL
>
> Thanks!
> Cathy

> NOAA/ESRL PSD and CIRES CDC303-497-6263http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/cathy.smith/
>
> Emails about data/webpages may get quicker responses from emailing
>
> esrl.psd.data@noaa.gov

Carl J. Schreck III, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites (CICS-NC)
North Carolina State University and NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
Tel: 828-257-3140
carl@cicsnc.org