Re: emacs ncl-mode is still being maintained.?

From: yagnesh <yagnesh_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 01:32:14 MDT

On 09/28/2011 12:49 AM, Mary Haley wrote:
> Thanks Carl.
>
> I've added this, and I added a preliminary "gen_editor_utils.ncl"
script which
> has some functions for generating all the list of functions, procedures,
> resources, keyword names, and operators in NCL.
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Files/gen_editor_utils.ncl
>
> Once you download the file, you can use it as follows:
>
> load "gen_editor_utils.ncl"
>
> fp_names = get_ncl_procs_and_funcs() ; Use this or
> fp_names = get_ncl_procs_and_funcs_by_cat() ; this---not both!
> res_names = get_ncl_resources()
> key_names = get_ncl_keywords()
> op_names = get_ncl_operators()
> These functions use "wget" to retrieve the appropriate NCL
documentation page
> from the web, and then read in this file to generate the appropriate list.
>
> --Mary

Hello Mary.,

Thanks for this. This makes updating keywords & functions dead easy.

Two things that make it hard for me (as a new user to NCL) to edit NCL
files.

1) Documentation reading. I need to get to a browser to read the
documentation. I am working on ncl-doc minor mode which brings the
on line documentation to the emacs. Hopefully I will share once it is
usable. Thanks to all developers for overwhelming capabilities of NCL.

2) remembering functions' arguments/parameters. I wish NCL can tell me
the arguments(number and type) of a given function when I pass function
name to it. am I missing any obvious?.

Meanwhile I figured out of generating TAGS out of NCL source files, which
helps in navigation of source files. Can be a potential candidate to add in
FAQ page.

ctags-exuberant -e -a --verbose=yes --langdef=ncl \
     --langmap=ncl:.ncl
--regex-ncl='/^[[:space:]]*function[[:space:]]+(.*)/\1/f,function/' *.ncl \

--regex-ncl='/^[[:space:]]*procedure[[:space:]]+(.*)/\1/p,procedure/'
`find . -type f -name "*.ncl"`

This command searches for all NCL files in a directory including all
sub directories and generates tags. Note that the program used is
here exuberant ctags and the option '-e' is for emacs style tags, vim users
need to remove that option.

Thanks.,

--
Yagnesh
PS: Apologies for bring up this old thread