Re: Plotting LSA SAF h5 data using LAT/LON input files

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2013 - 08:46:22 MST

The 1st rule of data processing is to 'look at your data'
The 2nd rule is the same as the 1st rule.

[1] From the command line:

%> ncl_filedump HDF5_LSASAF_MSG_DIDSSF_Euro_201212050000.h5 | less

[2] Or, from within an NCL script: printVarSummary(...)

You would see

       integer DSSF ( DIM_000, DIM_001 )
          CAL_OFFSET : 999
          CAL_SLOPE : 999
          CLASS : Data
          MISSING_VALUE : -1 <====
          NB_BYTES : 4
          N_COLS : 1701
          N_LINES : 651
          OFFSET : 0
          PRODUCT : DSSF
          PRODUCT_ID : 175
          SCALING_FACTOR : 10 <=====
          UNITS : Jm-2

The attributes MISSING_VALUE, SCALING_FACTOR, OFFSET
conform to no known convention.

Further, NCL only recognizes the _FillValue attribute.
The values must be scaled by 0.1 (1/SCALING_FACTOR)
prior to use.

The 'LAT' ('LON' also) file

       integer LAT ( DIM_000, DIM_001 )
          CAL_OFFSET : 0
          CAL_SLOPE : 0
          CLASS : Data
          MISSING_VALUE : 900000 <=======
          NB_BYTES : 4
          N_COLS : 1701
          N_LINES : 651
          OFFSET : 0
          PRODUCT : LATa
          PRODUCT_ID : 255
          SCALING_FACTOR : 10000 <========
          UNITS : Deg.

Since the information on these h5 files conform to no
known standard, the user must manually make the necessary changes.

Note: if you are new to NCL please read the mini-language manual at
         http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

Attached is a sample script

Good luck