Re: Plotting output from wavelet function

From: Daniel Barandiaran <dbarandiaran_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Feb 21 2013 - 09:01:54 MST

Hi Dennis and NCL users,

I thought I would give a quick follow up for anyone that might have been
following my question. As it turns out the wavelet function does return
the red noise curve (wave@fft_theor) and confidence interval (wave@signif)
for the global wavelet, I just didn't understand the terminology used in
the documentation sufficiently. I am glad I took the time to read and try
to wrap my head around the Torrence and Compo paper, it was very helpful in
understanding this tool better. Thanks for your help!

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu> wrote:

> The short answer is "Not sure"
>
> =========
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/**Applications/wavelet.shtml<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wavelet.shtml>
>
> See:
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/**1520-0477(1998)079<http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1998)079>
> <0061:**APGTWA>2.0.CO;2
> http://marine.rutgers.edu/**dmcs/ms615/2006/Wavelet_**Analysis.doc<http://marine.rutgers.edu/dmcs/ms615/2006/Wavelet_Analysis.doc>
> http://rss.acs.unt.edu/Rdoc/**library/wmtsa/html/**wavVarConfidence.html<http://rss.acs.unt.edu/Rdoc/library/wmtsa/html/wavVarConfidence.html>
>

> On 2/14/13 11:23 AM, Daniel Barandiaran wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When doing standard spectral analysis one can use specx_ci to obtain a
>> red-noise curve and 95% confidence level curve. Is there a similar way to
>> get a red-noise and confidence interval curve for the global wavelet when
>> using the wavelet function? I looked at the various attributes as
>> described in the documentation, and nothing really jumps out as the
>> appropriate thing to use. Can I feed the global wavelet into specx_ci?
>>
>> Thanks for the help!

Danny Barandiaran
Department of Plants, Soils, and Climate
Utah State University