orthogonal of the rotated EOFs

From: ÁõعÚS <lyy_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Mar 01 2013 - 19:57:51 MST

 hi,

 I have one question about orthogonal of rotated EOFs.

 I repeat the example 5 of EOFs on ncl functions page.

 this code(eof_5.ncl) use the covariance matrix to compute EOFs, then compute the rotated EOFs.

  optEOF = False
  optETS = False
  eof = eofunc_Wrap(x, neof, optEOF)
  eof_ts = eofunc_ts_Wrap (x, eof, optETS)

  eof_rot = eofunc_varimax_Wrap( eof, 1 )
  printVarSummary( eof_rot )

 in the function (eofunc_varimax) page, it descript that the result of rotated EOFs are orthonormal for each spatial patterns, and there is some correlation between the time series expansion coefficients for each mode.

my question is : if I compute EOFs use the correlation matrix, then compute the rotated EOFs, the result is also orthonormal for each spatial patterns, and there is some correlation between the time series expansion coefficients for each mode? I change the code as follows:

  optEOF = true
  optEOF@jopt = 1
  optETS = True
  optETS@jopt = 1
  eof = eofunc_Wrap(x, neof, optEOF)
  eof_ts = eofunc_ts_Wrap (x, eof, optETS)

  eof_rot = eofunc_varimax_Wrap( eof, 1 )
  printVarSummary( eof_rot )

 thanks!

 yun