accessing netcdf file

From: Nikola Marjanovic <nikola_marjanovic_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu May 09 2013 - 01:24:48 MDT

Is it possible to create an array of netCDF variables of the same dimension
so they can easily be accessed by the same line of code?

For example I have a netCDF file:
a=addfile(file,"r")

I want to access variables U, V and W in the netCDF file but don't want to
write out a command for each variable:
U=a->U(i:j,k:l,p:q,r:s)

Can I create some sort of array?: X=(/"U","V","W"/)

and access each variable in a loop:
do t=0,2
  U=X{t}(i:j,k:l,p:q,r:s)
  [....do something..]
  delete(U)
end do

I am under the impression that this is not possible, but could be very
useful. If it is possible, could someone explain how to do it?

Thanks,
Nikola