Re: Vertical Y-Axis Manual Plotting

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 08 2013 - 12:46:09 MDT

Hi Brian,
I think you're almost there. See example #4 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/barb.shtml#ex4

The trick to extending the Y-axis range way beyond your data's vertical
range is to overlay your existing plot on a loglin plot. Following the
example's code, your coding could look something like this:

windlayer = gsn_csm_vector_scalar(wks,ukt_ht_time,vkt_ht_time,wnd_ht_time,res2D)

getvalues windlayer ; get the X/Y axis min/max for use in the loglin plot
     "trXMinF" : trxmin
     "trXMaxF" : trxmax
     "trYMinF" : trymin
     "trYMaxF" : trymax
end getvalues

loglin = create "logling" logLinPlotClass wks ; draw a loglin plot, with expanded X/Y axis
     "trXMinF" : trxmin-1
     "trXMaxF" : trxmax+1
     "trYMinF" : trymin
     "trYMaxF" : 3.0
; the next 4 resource settings may not be needed
     "vpXF" : .15 ; set the X-axis NDC starting point
     "vpYF" : .8 ; set the Y-axis NDC starting point
     "vpWidthF" : .7 ; set the width of the plot in NDC units
     "vpHeightF" : .45 ; set the height of the plot in NDC units
   end create
   overlay(loglin,windlayer) ; overlay plot with the loglin plot
   draw(loglin) ; draw the plot
   frame(wks) ; advance the frame

If the above doesn't help or if you have further questions please let
ncl-talk know..
Adam