Re: Reading ECHAM grib files

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 29 2013 - 13:02:58 MDT

Hi Marston,
You are correct that the unknown parameter warnings are not that big a deal. Various centers often add new parameters to existing GRIB tables and NCL's built-in tables are not always completely up-to-date. Sometimes the center has not yet given a usable definition. In this case, you have an ECMWF dataset that uses table 128: Parameters 24 and 25 are described as
follows (http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/manuals/d/gribapi/param/filter=grib1/order=paramId/order_type=asc/p=1/table=128/):

Reserved for future unbalanced components ~ ~ 24 grib1 grib2
Reserved for future unbalanced components ~ ~ 25 grib1 grib2

As you can see no short name or units are defined and the "longname" is not something we would want to present to users.

The other message indicates that the latitude coordinates for the Gaussian grid that at least some variables in the file use is wrong or incomplete.
The data itself is presumably correct.

As Dennis suggests, it would be good for us to take a look at this to see what the issue is. So please upload a sample file using his instructions.
What version of NCL are you using? There have been some fixes to the Gaussian coordinate code in recent versions.
  -dave