Re: reading raw calipso data in NCL

From: Matthew Fearon <Matthew.Fearon_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 23 2013 - 21:10:58 MDT

Hi, Joe
Thanks for your reply. At this time, I'm most interested in Calipso Vertical Feature Mask (VFM) and reading the associated variable 'Feature_Classification_Flags' from the hdf file, eg., CAL_LID_L2_VFM-ValStage1-V3-02.2011-12-31T23-18-11ZD.hdf . NCL reads this variable as an unsigned short. However, in order to extract the correct flag, which should be a single value, it appears the data need to be bit interpreted. I'm not sure how to do this correctly in NCL. If you have any luck unpacking and or plotting up the data in NCL, please let me know. Right now, I'm trying to setup a temporary workaround with Matlab, via the code released by NASA, to extract the data correctly -- not an ideal solution.

thanks again,
Matt