Re: Making the 6 figure panel plot bigger

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 31 2013 - 13:40:44 MDT

Hi Soumik,

You are almost there. In order to use maximize_output with paneled
plots, you have to make sure the paneled plots don't get resized
back to their original sizes after being paneled. The
"gsn_panel_return" function is what you can use.

I created an example that is similar in shape to what you are doing.
See example panel_33.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex33

I hope to clean things up in the future so you don't need to use
this unadvertised function.

The paneling part of your code will look something like this:

;---Resources for paneling
    pres = True ; modify the panel plot
    pres@gsnFrame = False ; don't advance frame yet
    pres@gsnDraw = False ; draw later, in maximize mode
    pres@gsnPanelBottom = 0.33 ; top 2/3 of frame

    pres@gsnPanelLabelBar = True ; add common colorbar
    pres@lbOrientation = "vertical"
    pres@pmLabelBarWidthF = 0.075 ; make thinner
    pres@pmLabelBarHeightF = 0.40

;---Panel first group of plots (nothing is drawn yet)
    panelid1 = gsn_panel_return(wks,plots,(/2,nyears/),pres)

;---Calculate location for top of difference plots
    bb = NhlGetBB(panelid1)
    bottom = min(bb(:,1))
    top = max(bb(:,0))
    height = (top-bottom)/2. ; Height of one row

;---Panel the diff plots at the bottom 1/3 of the frame
    pres@gsnPanelTop = bottom-0.01 ; lower 1/3 plus some white space
    pres@gsnPanelBottom = pres@gsnPanelTop - height

    pres@pmLabelBarHeightF = 0.20 ; Make height smaller

    panelid2 = gsn_panel_return(wks,diff_plots,(/1,2/),pres)

;---This will maximize the size of all the paneled stuff.
    maximize_output(wks,True)

--Mary