Re: overlay contour (netto)

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Aug 09 2013 - 20:04:12 MDT

On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Xi Chang wrote:

> Hallo NCL,
>
> Thanks for the idea, However I just wonder
> 1. how can I possibly change the color, for instance from black to be *SlateBlue"? and

You will still have to use RGBA triplets in order to get the transparency, but first, you can see our list of named colors at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/named_colors.shtml

Or the actual RGB values at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/rgb.txt

You'll see there's a color called "slate blue". You can then use the function "named2gba" to return the RGBA triplet for "slate blue".

I've updated the "newcolor_17.ncl" example to include this new function (which will be in V6.2.0) and the "slate blue" color.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/newcolor_17.ncl

> 2. is it possible to overlay this netto contour with another contour line?

To overlay another contour line, you can use the same the same "overlay" procedure that's used in this example, except create a line contour plot instead of a filled plot:

;---Set some plot options
  lres = True

  lres@gsnDraw = False ; Don't draw plots or advance
  lres@gsnFrame = False ; frame (need to overlay later)

  lres@cnInfoLabelOn = False ; Turn off info label
  lres@cnLineColor = "limegreen" ; default is foreground (usually black)

  lres@cnLineThicknessF = 3.0
  lres@cnLineDrawOrder = "PostDraw"

   line_contour = gsn_csm_contour(wks,x,lres)
   overlay(ovly_plot1, line_contour)