Re: Whether someone can give same kind of output in NCL ???

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Nov 06 2013 - 09:19:17 MST

Not sure the "really disspointed" applies to ncl-talk

[1] You posted at 11/4/13 11:48 AM and you got a response
     at 11/4/13 12:02 PM. Seems pretty quick (14 minutes)!
     Did you look at the examples that you were pointed toward?

       http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/read_ascii.shtml

     It has examples of reading ascii files and indicates
     many string handling functions.

     On the NCL home page: Click 'Functions', then 'Category'.
     There are two categories that would seem to be of interest:
         'File I/O' and 'Strings'
     Please look at both.

[2] When someone is 'new to NCL' ("no much idea about NCL"),
  , it is suggested that he/she read the 'Mini-Language Manual' at:
          http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

[3] re: "... done by one of my friend in Ferret software. Since I am
          not interested in Ferret"

     I am not sure why you are 'not interested in ferret'.
     Ferret is a good tool. If your friend provided you with a
     ferret script, perhaps you could modify it to do what you want.
     Since you have posted multiple questions to the ferret help list,
     you are familiar with ferret and it may be easier than learning
     a new language (NCL).

[4] Attached is an NCL script, that does a basic translation to a simple
     netCDF file. Each row (observation set) and column (variable)
     is placed onto a netCDF file. Since ascii contains no meta data,
     the information must be provided. You will have the edit the file
     to provide that information.

     An 'ncdump -h' of the created netCDF is attached.