Re: interpolate WRF 3km res. to match 4km res. NCEP Stage IV precip data

From: A.J. Eiserloh <arthur.eiserloh_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Dec 11 2013 - 12:32:41 MST

In order to get the difference plots, I would need to subtract the
regridded 4km wrfout files with the original NCEP stage IV data. However I
only want the NCEP Stg IV data that is within my domain for WRF. NCEP Stg
IV is the entire CONUS and more. How can I get just the array of data in
the WRF domain that I want? Before, I just plotted and zoomed in on the
data to look at the area that I wanted mpLimitMode= "corners" and
mpProjection = "LambertConformal" to essentially match my lambert conformal
WRF domain with specifying the 2 parallels and meridian.

-A.J.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu> wrote:

> Look at the ESMF regrid page
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml
>
> You should look for WRF applications.
>
> EG: Example 20
>
> Make sure you read the ESMF documentation.
>
> Goos Luck
>

> On 12/10/13, 2:55 PM, A.J. Eiserloh wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have NCEP stg. IV precip data (in netcdf format; of which I do have
>> lat2d and lon 2d arrays. This precip data has a resolution of 4 km. I
>> zoomed in on this precip. data to match my domain for my (3-km domain)WRF
>> runs (Lambert Conformal Projection).
>>
>> However, I would like to be able to interpolate the WRF 3-km data to 4-km
>> so I can take the difference of the two (compare WRF model to
>> observations). How can this be done?

Arthur J. Eiserloh, Jr.
San Jose State University
Graduate Student
Dept. of Meteorology and Climate Science