[ncl-talk] NCL install problems

From: Michael Irl Zimmerman <mzimmer3_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:28:41 -0800

Hello all,

I tried to install NCARG/NCL on my Fedora Core 6 machine and the Make
procedure ended with a 'thumbs-up' saying that everything was installed
successfully, but I don't see an executable named NCL in my
$NCARG_ROOT/bin directory. When I try to run an example using ng4ex it
can't find the ncl executable, either. Finally, I noticed during the
install that errors were popping up that read something like "can't
find -lhdf". I take this to mean that I have not properly pre-
installed the hdf libraries. I have installed HDF (and NCARG 4.2.2)
using the FC6 software installer but I don't think that I can trust
Fedora to put the libraries in a directory accessible to other
applications under normal circumstances.

My questions are:

1) Are there any thoughts on the above?
2) Is there a way to get at the ./Configure information before I
attempt to install NCL? This would allow me to ensure that the hdf
libraries (and others, like Vis5D+, etc.) even exist in the right
places.

-- Mike