Re: newbie install problem

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:34:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 9 May 2009, Benjamin Laken wrote:

> I am having a problem getting NCL to run, I have installed CYGWIN, and
> NCL, and I have changed my .basch file to have the lines included:*
>
> export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local
> export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
>
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> *(Although I dont have a .cshrc file in my home directory so i have not
> added the lines *
>
> setenv NCARG_ROOT /usr/local
> setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:$PATH
>
> setenv NCARG_ROOT /usr/local
> set path=($path $NCARG_ROOT/bin) )
>

> *when I attempt to generate the NCL test using... *
>
> cp $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclex/xyplot/xy04n.ncl .
> ncl xy04n.ncl
>
> *I get the following response ...*
>
> NCARG_ROOT: Undefined variable

Ben,

You said you added the two lines to the ".basch" file. I assume
this is a typo, and that you meant ".bashrc" file?

Your NCARG_ROOT is not getting set when you login. You need to
make sure that you are not getting any error messages when
you login, because this may indicate that you have some
bad instructions in one or more of your .* files, causing
later instructions to not be executed properly.

Also, double-check that you added NCARG_ROOT to the correct file.
Maybe your environment variables are being set in another file,
and this is the one you should use?

--Mary