Re: addfile and symbolic links

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 08:34:23 MDT

    > Hello -
    >
    > I was wondering if the addfile function is able to follow symbolic
    > links? I have a situation where I have a script that sets up a symbolic
    > link to a netcdf input file and then calls a NCL script. The NCL script
    > then turns around and attempts to access the netcdf file via the
    > symbolic link. However I am getting a fatal error when the NCL script
    > attempts to perform the addfile. The error message is stating that the
    > input file, in this case the name coming back is that of the symbolic
    > link, doesn't exist. The NCL script gets past the addfile if I hard code
    > the path and file, but crashes when the symbolic link is used. So I was
    > just wondering if the addfile function is can follow symbolic links. (In
    > case it makes any difference, this is being running this on a Sun
    > machine running Solaris and I am using NCAR Graphics version 4.2.1)
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Scott

    Scott,

    I just tried a little test on our Solaris 8 system, and "addfile" in
    NCL works just fine with soft links. You mentioned you are running
    4.2.1 of NCAR Graphics, but what version of NCL are you running? This
    version number should get reported every time you run NCL.

    How did you create the soft link? Are you able to do an "ncdump -h"
    on the soft linked file? I would need to see the exact error message
    and the part of your script that's reading the file to get a better
    idea of what's going on.