Re: using shared objects on HP

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 17:44:29 MDT

    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone have successfully used shared objects with ncl on HP
    > 800/9000?
    >
    > In fact I am working on the frontend of the Earth Simulator, which is HP.
    > I heard that a group of scientists at NCAR will visit ES.
    > A better support for newer HP's could benefit them if they would like to
    > use NCL.

    Dear Dr. Enomoto,

    HPs in-house, so we are unable to readily provide binaries. However,
    I do have correspondence with somebody who has provided me a logon to
    one of their HP systems, an HP 9000/7xx system running HPUX 11.0.

    We provided an HP version of NCL in our last release of NCL, and will
    try to continue to do so for new releases of NCL.

    If you need binaries for an HP 9000/8xx system, then I would need to
    get an account on such a machine in order to build the binaries. If
    anybody out there has such a system and would be willing to give me
    a guest login to do some builds, let me know!

    As for building shared objects, you need to use the "+z" option when
    compiling the *.o files, and the "-b" when loading it all together.
    So, assuming your Fortran file is called "fcode.f", you would do
    something like this:

       wrapit77 < fcode.f > fcode_W.c
       nhlcc +z -c fcode_W.c
       nhlf77 +z -c fcode.f
       ld -b -o fcode.so fcode_W.o fcode.o

    Note: as Dennis Shea mentioned in another email, the WRAPIT utility
    that is distributed with NCL does not handle HP machines, again
    because we do not have a machine available to test it on.

    > Large file issue:
    > I tried to fill an array smaller than 2GB (29.5MB) with fbindirread()
    > from a 22GB file.
    > The record number is small and fits in 4 bytes.
    > As a workaround I created a simple Fortran program that open the huge
    > file,
    > read data, and save it to a temporary file.
    > By reading from that file, I can read data into a ncl script.
    >
    > I encountered the shared object problem when I was rewriting it
    > from a command line tool to a procedure in a shared object.

    I'm repeating something that Dennis said offline about this, and that
    is that neither one of us have tried NCL on a 22GB file. However, we
    think NCL's fbindirread function should have been able to read the
    data. Using a Fortran shared object is certainly one way around the
    problem, if you are having one.

    Cheers,

    --Mary Haley