Re: Re: OS X follow up...

From: Jeff Whitaker (jswhit@XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 16:00:54 MST

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, David Reusch wrote:

> Just made it through my first NCL install under OS X 10.2.3 with
> the above NCL version. I did *not* see the previously reported
> error so it appears fixed. What I did trip over, and this may not
> be a NCL issue, was a copy of /sw/lib/libdl.dylib with the wrong
> name (NCL wanted libdl.dylib but Fink/dselect apparently named
> it libdl.0.dylib). I haven't looked into this any deeper than
> copying and renaming the lib (which fixed things) so I couldn't
> say if this is a new version of dlcompat or a bug somewhere else.
> But I did want to let people know this bump exists.

I suspect that ncl was built against a very old version of the dlcompat
lib (which does not strictly adhere to OSX shared lib naming conventions).
otool -L /usr/local/ncl/bin/ncl gives

/sw/lib/libdl.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)

while otool -L /sw/lib/libdl.dylib gives

/sw/lib/libdl.dylib:
        /sw/lib/libdl.0.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current
version 0.0.0)

If ncl had been linked against the newer one, otool would have reported
libdl.0.dylib). In any case, simply installing the dlcompat-dev package
would have done the trick (this would have installed the symlink
libdl.dylib --> libdl.0.dylib).

-Jeff

 --
Jeffrey S. Whitaker Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC R/CDC1 FAX : (303)497-6449