Re: Re: OS X follow up...

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 15:22:57 MST

    > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, David Reusch wrote:
    >
    > > Just made it through my first NCL install under OS X 10.2.3 with
    > > the above NCL version. I did *not* see the previously reported
    > > error so it appears fixed. What I did trip over, and this may not
    > > be a NCL issue, was a copy of /sw/lib/libdl.dylib with the wrong
    > > name (NCL wanted libdl.dylib but Fink/dselect apparently named
    > > it libdl.0.dylib). I haven't looked into this any deeper than
    > > copying and renaming the lib (which fixed things) so I couldn't
    > > say if this is a new version of dlcompat or a bug somewhere else.
    > > But I did want to let people know this bump exists.
    >

    > I suspect that ncl was built against a very old version of the dlcompat
    > lib (which does not strictly adhere to OSX shared lib naming conventions).
    > otool -L /usr/local/ncl/bin/ncl gives
    >
    > /sw/lib/libdl.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
    >
    > while otool -L /sw/lib/libdl.dylib gives
    >
    > /sw/lib/libdl.dylib:
    > /sw/lib/libdl.0.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current
    > version 0.0.0)
    >
    > If ncl had been linked against the newer one, otool would have reported
    > libdl.0.dylib). In any case, simply installing the dlcompat-dev package
    > would have done the trick (this would have installed the symlink
    > libdl.dylib --> libdl.0.dylib).
    >
    > -Jeff

    Thanks Jeff, I have added this to the "how to" list for getting NCL
    running on a MacOSX system.

    For those of who are interested in what's involved to get NCL up and
    running on a MacOSX system, visit the link:

        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/nclmacosx.html

    Be sure to check with your system administrator before following all
    of the instructions in the above URL. Some of the listed software
    packages may already be available on your system.

    Cheers,