RE: [ncl-talk] cnLineLabels on Panel contours overlaid on contours

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:56:00 -0700 (MST)

Hi Soo-Jin,

Thanks for sending your plots. I think the problem is due to the
internal algorithm that is used to determine whether a contour label
is to appear on your plot. NCL uses a fairly complicated algorithm
based on the curvature of a contour line, the size of the plot,
whether a label was already drawn on another contour line, etc, to
determine whether to draw a new label.

I think what's happening here is that because your plots are much
smaller in the panel plot, NCL is deciding that there's no space for
contour labels, and hence it doesn't draw any. This is one of those
rare cases where resizing a plot can actually change some physical
attributes of a plot.

To get around this, you can set a resource that changes the internal
algorithm used for drawing contour labels. The resource is
"cnLineLabelPlacementMode":

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnLineLabelPlacementMode

The default value is "randomized". You can try one of the other two
values, "constant" or "computed".

I've attached a simple script that shows how using these three
different algorithms changes the labels on your plot, especially when
you resize it.

There are some specific examples showing how to customize the drawing
of contour labels at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/contourLab.shtml

You might be interested in examples 5 or 6.

Good luck,

--Mary