Re: tips to unstagger data from WRF

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:15:05 -0700

I suggest the WRF functions already mentioned
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/wrf.shtml
===
These are as much WRF questions as NCL
    http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/graphics/NCL/NCL.htm

You can send WRF questions to wrfhelp_at_ucar.edu
===
However, given the high resolution of the WRF grids,
the array syntax in Example 7 at
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrflc.shtml
should yield adequate values for most applications.

Erik Noble wrote:
> Hi.
> The post processor does not install on the APPLE or the SGI machine we
> are using.
> Unfortunately, the post processor step is not an option for me.
>
> Gary or anyone else, do you still have advice about destaggerring
> after converting to pressure levels.
> the converting to pressure command can be found here:
> http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/graphics/NCL/Examples/PressureLevel1/wrf_PressureLevel1.ncl
>
> Where an example of the interpret to pressure command is: IT HAS TO
> BE PERFORMED IN A DO LOOP FOR TIME (bummer!!!)
>
> variable = wrf_user_getvar(a,"variable",it) ; variable of interest
> p = wrf_user_getvar(a, "pressure",it) ; pressure is our vertical coordinate
>
> do it = 0,ntimes-1 ; TIME LOOP
> do level = 0,nlevels-1 ; LOOP OVER LEVELS
> pressure = 700 ; Sample Pressure level
> Variable_Plane = wrf_user_intrp3d(variable,p,"h",pressure,0.,False)
> end do ; END OF LEVEL LOOP
> end do ; END OF TIME LOOP
>

> After this what is the step for unstaggering? The WRF-Help team does
> not provide anymore assistance beyond this step.
> -Erik
>

> On Dec 11, 2007 8:08 AM, Jan Ploski <Jan.Ploski_at_offis.de> wrote:
>
>> Gerry Creager <gerry.creager_at_tamu.edu> schrieb am 12/11/2007 02:03:49 PM:

>> do

>> WRF-NCL

>> function

>> (for

>> extract

>> desired

>>> Does this work for ARW as well as NMM? I was under the impression the
>>> Postprocessor was only for NMM code.
>>>
>> The NMM postprocessor and the described method both work for ARW (this is
>> what we are using).
>>
>> The documentation is at
>> http://www.dtcenter.org/wrf-nmm/users/docs/user_guide/WPS/users_guide_nmm_chap7_v1_WPS.htm
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jan Ploski
>>
>> --
>> Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Jan Ploski
>> OFFIS
>> Betriebliches Informationsmanagement
>> Escherweg 2 - 26121 Oldenburg - Germany
>> Fon: +49 441 9722 - 184 Fax: +49 441 9722 - 202
>> E-Mail: Jan.Ploski@offis.de - URL: http://www.offis.de

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |