Re: station wind vector over a map again

From: Dorita Rostkier-Edelstein <drostkier_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 00:33:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi Fred,

  I found on the web page that wmvect, wmvectmap,and wmvlbl have been created, but only from version 5.0.1, which has not been released yet? How can I start using it now?

  Thanks a lot.

  Dorita

Fred Clare <fred_at_ucar.edu> wrote:

On Dec 18, 2007, at 5:35 AM, Dorita Rostkier-Edelstein wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to use wmlabs to create an arrow and use it as a wind vector
> on a map at station locations.

Using the arrows from wmlabs for this is not a good idea for several
reasons:

1.) The coordinate specification for the arrows is for the arrow
head
and not the base of the tail as desired.
2.) The entire arrows are scaled by the specified size whereas it is
preferable to be able to scale the tail and arrow head
independently.
3.) You will have to make the appropriate direction adjustments for
plotting over maps.

I have just implemented a limited vector capability at the low level for
normal vector plotting and for plotting over maps. I
hope to get this into NCL by the end of the week. This offers control
over arrow head size, line thickness, color, and angle between arrow
head
and tail. Also you can plot an informational label. See the
attached plots
for examples. This functionality is only a temporary solution until
such
can be implemented in the NCL vector plotting functions (see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/vector.shtml

for examples). The full set of vector resources described at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/vector.shtml

will be available at that time.

Fred Clare

> I used gsn_add_text to add the stations names for instance.
> What gsn_add* function will allow me to put the wmlabs I created at
> the same place?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dorita

Dr. Dorita Rostkier-Edelstein, Ph.D.
Dept. of Applied Math., Env. Sci. Division
IIBR, Israel

  Israel Meteorological Society Council Member

  doritar_at_iibr.gov.il
  drostkier_at_yahoo.com