Reading Binary files with mixed-dimensions

From: David F Porter <PorterDF_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:53:23 -0700

Sorry if this has been covered, by I've exhausted the search function
with no real results.

I am looking to read in some large 4-Byte Float big-endian binary data
onto my little-endian machine. The problem I am having is that each
file corresponds to ONE time period, but each variable in the file has
different dimensions, some 2D and some 3D. Because of the varying
sizes, I feel that I cannot simply use the "record number". Also, I
only want some of the variables (to save space after loading 300 of
these files).

I'm not sure if it matters at this point, but the variables are on a
gaussian grid.

Dave