Re: map limits invalid

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:55:45 -0600 (MDT)

The problem appears to be that you have two mpMaxLonF resources set,
and no mpMinLonF resource:

   cnres_at_mpMaxLonF = 175
   cnres_at_mpMaxLonF = 171

The projection limits you're using create an odd looking
map, however. You may need to look into setting mpCenterLonF
and other resources, or else use a different limiting scheme,
like "Corners".

See the stereographic examples on the "Native Grid Projections" page:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/native.shtml

--Mary

On Wed, 28 May 2008 p2trivej_at_atmos.ucla.edu wrote:

> here is the whole set.
>
> wks = gsn_open_wks ("x11", "zoom")
> cnres = True
> cnres_at_cnRasterModeOn = True
> cnres_at_cnLinesOn = False
> cnres_at_cnLineLabelsOn = False
> cnres_at_cnFillOn = True
> cnres_at_gsnSpreadColors = True
> cnres_at_mpOutlineOn = False
> gsn_define_colormap (wks, "rainbow")
> cnres_at_gsnSpreadColors = True
> cnres_at_mpProjection = "Stereographic"
> cnres_at_mpLimitMode = "LatLon"
> cnres_at_mpMaxLatF = -13
> cnres_at_mpMinLatF = -15
> cnres_at_mpMaxLonF = 175
> cnres_at_mpMaxLonF = 171
> cnres_at_gsnAddCylic = False
>

>> I tried a small script with just the resources you indicated below,
>> and it worked for me:
>>
>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
>>
>> wks = gsn_open_wks("x11","map")
>> res = True
>> res_at_mpLimitMode = "LatLon"
>> res_at_mpMinLatF = -13
>> res_at_mpMaxLatF = 10.
>> res_at_mpMinLonF = 119
>> res_at_mpMaxLonF = 123
>>
>> map = gsn_map(wks,"Stereographic",res)
>>
>> Are you setting some other map resources that might affect the
>> projection? If you're not sure, can you print the contents of "cnres"
>> and email them to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Mary
>>

>> On Wed, 28 May 2008 p2trivej_at_atmos.ucla.edu wrote:
>>
>>> sorry, i wrote that down incorrectly. the correct limit is supposed to
>>> be
>>>
>>> cnres_at_mpProjection = "Stereographic"
>>> cnres_at_mpLimitMode = "LatLon"
>>> cnres_at_mpMaxLatF = -10