Re: A question on the file named ".hluresfile"

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:07:22 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, oszhh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a beginner to NCL.
> When I explored the examples (from 1 to 11 ) in the NCL homepage, I found that the codes in NCL scripts aimed to change the look of graphics would be ineffective if I use the ".hluresfile" file by putting it my home directory.
> However, if the ".hluresfile" file is removed from my home directory, those codes to change the appearance of figures will be effective. I am wondering why this could happen.
>
> The following hyperlink is some instructions for the ".hluresfile" file:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml
>
> Best wishes to you.
>
> Clark

Clark,

The .hluresfile is a way to allow users to personally customize their
graphics environment. The examples that you mentioned were generated
without the presence of a .hluresfile, because this can be set
differently by every user, and hence we can't assume some particular
.hluresfile is present.

However, we *highly* recommend that users have their own .hluresfile,
if only so you can change:

    1. The default font from "times-roman" to a better one (we recommend
       "helvetica").
    2. The default text function code from ':' to something else (we
        recommend '~').
    3. The default color map (we use "rainbow" as a "better one").

So, if you run the GSUN examples without a .hluresfile, you will
see the default times-roman font and the default color map.

If you run the GSUN examples with a .hluresfile, *and* your
.hluresfile is setting a different font and/or color table, then this
will cause your GSUN examples to look different (unless the GSUN
example in question is setting its own fonts and/or color table).