Re: question about cnLineLabelsOn and cnLevels and cnLineLabelBackgroundColor

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 06:58:30 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 caoyan_at_cma.gov.cn wrote:

> hi,
>
> I want to draw three lines in one pic and label three line respectively,but it just label one line which value=0, donot label other two lines, and I set the label background is transparent, but it donot work also, please tell me why.
>
> Cao Yan

Cao Yan,

NCL uses a somewhat complicated labeling algorithm to determine
what contour lines should be labeled.

Please go to:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/contourLab.shtml

for some information on contour labels, and how to change the
frequency of them. For example, the "cnLineLabelInterval"
resource may be one that you can try setting to 1 to see
if this gets you the labels you want.

As for setting the label background to transparent, I assume you are
talking about the "cnLineLabelBackgroundColor" resource? Did you set
this to either the value -1 or "transparent"? Also, according to the
documentation for this resource, it won't work if
"cnLineLabelPlacementMode" is set to
"constant". ("cnLineLabelPlacementMode" defaults to "randomized" if it
is not set).