Re: IDL's CONGRID function

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:18:40 -0600

The short answer is "no"

NCL forces the user to specify the the coordinates
of both the in and out arrays. Regular to gaussian
would require some user specification

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/regrid.shtml
[ignore area2int]

It seems to me you could create a CONGRID substitute.
linint1, linint2, ftsurf, [if global, shperical harmonic
regriders], if the input is on a curvilinear grid, perhaps
rcm2rgrid, rtc
[untested]

function congrid (q, dimout[*],cyclic:logical, opt:integer)

begin
  dimq = dimsizes(q)
  Ni = dimsizes (dimq)
  nxi = dimq(Ni-1)
  nyi = dimq(Ni-2)

  No = dimsizes( dimout )
  nxo = dimout(No-1)
  nyo = dimout(No-2)

  xi = ispan(1,nxi,1)
  yi = ispan(1,nyi,1)
  xo = ispan(1,nxo,1)
  yo = ispan(1,nyo,1)

  if (opt.eq.0) then ; bilinear
      qNew = linint2(xi,yi,q,cyclic,xo,yo,False)
  end if

  if (opt.eq.1) then ; spline
      qNew = ftsurf(xi,yi,q,xo,yo)
  end if

; etc

  copy_VarAtts(q,qNew)
  return(qNew)
end

if the

If the rank of dimout is 3 ... perform 1d
interpoation [linint1] after the horizonatal interp.

Good luck