Re: zooming in on a polar plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:13:00 -0600 (MDT)

Agnes,

I would need to see your code in order to see what might be the
problem. I'll take a guess here.

If you are using one of the polar scripts (like
gsn_csm_contour_map_polar), then you don't want to be setting
mpMinLonF or mpMinLonF, as these are designed to go from -180 to 180,
and for the north or south pole viewage.

You want to instead use gsn_csm_contour_map and set:

    res_at_mpProjection = "Stereographic"
    res_at_mpEllipticalBoundary = True ; If you want elliptical
                                                   ; boundary
Then, to zoom in on Continental US, use either:

    res_at_mpLimitMode = "LatLon"
    res_at_mpMinLatF = ...
    res_at_mpMaxLatF = ...
    res_at_mpMinLonF = ...
    res_at_mpMaxLonF = ...

or:

   res_at_mpLimitMode = "Corners"
   res_at_mpCenterLonF = -145
   res_at_mpCenterLatF = 64
   res_at_mpRelativeCenterLat = True
   res_at_mpRelativeCenterLon = True
   res_at_mpRightCornerLonF = -126 ; or some other value
   res_at_mpRightCornerLatF = 52
   res_at_mpLeftCornerLonF = 176
   res_at_mpLeftCornerLatF = 70

If you have 2D lat/lon arrays that represent the locations of
your data values, then you can set the four corners using:

   nlat = dimsizes(lat2d(:,0))
   nlon = dimsizes(lat2d(0,:))

   res_at_mpLeftCornerLatF = lat2d(0,0)
   res_at_mpLeftCornerLonF = lon2d(0,0)
   res_at_mpRightCornerLatF = lat2d( nlat-1, nlon-1)
   res_at_mpRightCornerLonF = lon2d( nlat-1, nlon-1)

In any case, you may need to tweak the values accordingly.

--Mary