5.1.1 not recognising some ECMWF variables

From: Gilmour, Isla <Isla.Gilmour_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 03:28:25 -0400

I've got some code running under NCL vs 5.1.0 which pulls out a number
of variables from ECMWF grib files and plots them.
When I try to run the same code under NCL vs 5.1.1, I get a fatal error
due to some of the variables I'm trying to pull in not being recognised.
Bizarrely some of the variables are still recognised, some not. Below
are some examples, tho neither list is likely to be complete.

Not recognised:
VAR_167_GDS4_SFC_10
VAR_151_GDS4_SFC_10
VAR_228_GDS4_SFC_10_1

Recognised
VAR_156_GDS4_ISBL_10
VAR_34_GDS4_SFC_10

Any insight (and a fix/work around) much appreciated
I can send sample grib file offline if needs be. Further details below
Isla Gilmour

--------------------------------

Error message on running under 5.1.1 is
"fatal:Either file (input_file) isn't defined or variable
(VAR_167_GDS4_SFC_10) is not a variable in the file"

VAR_167 is the first variable to be pulled in. Commenting out the lines
which read in vars 167, 151 & 228, the code runs to completion.

Lack of variable recognition in 5.1.1 confirmed by using
; ---- begin script -----
    var_1 = getfilevarnames(input_file)
        do i = 0, dimsizes(var_1)-1
            print(var_1(i))
        end do
; ---- end script -----

version-5.1.1
-------------

|root_at_xxx Mon Jun 22 ~|ncl < test.ncl |egrep -v warning | egrep
'\.grb|167|151|228_GDS4_SFC_10_1'
(0) /ECM_01.grb
(0) /ECM_02.grb
(0) /ECM_03.grb
(0) /ECM_04.grb

version-5.1.0
-------------

|a_at_yyy Mon Jun 22 ncl < test.ncl |egrep -v warning | egrep
'\.grb|167|151|228_GDS4_SFC_10_1'
(0) /ECM_01.grb
(0) VAR_228_GDS4_SFC_10_1
(0) VAR_167_GDS4_SFC_10
(0) VAR_151_GDS4_SFC_10
(0) /ECM_02.grb
(0) VAR_228_GDS4_SFC_10_1
(0) VAR_167_GDS4_SFC_10
(0) VAR_151_GDS4_SFC_10
(0) /ECM_03.grb
(0) VAR_228_GDS4_SFC_10_1
(0) VAR_167_GDS4_SFC_10
(0) VAR_151_GDS4_SFC_10
(0) /ECM_04.grb
(0) VAR_228_GDS4_SFC_10_1
(0) VAR_167_GDS4_SFC_10
(0) VAR_151_GDS4_SFC_10

v5.1.1 installed on Solaris x86. v5.1.0 on Solaris SPARC.