Re: Setting Title Resources in the WRF functions

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:45:01 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Don Morton wrote:

> Mary Haley wrote:
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> I myself am trying to learn more about these title resources.
>>
>> I tried all kinds of things, and could only get a title centered high
>> above the plot.
>>
>> I'm going to throw in the towel and CC the experts here,
>> wrfhelp_at_ucar.edu.
>
> Thank you, Mary.
>
> It would also be helpful, if possible, if someone is able to advise us
> on essentially which "traditional" resources we can use, and which
> aren't functional when using the WRF NCL environment.

Don,

In general, I think most NCL resources can be used with the wrf_xxxx
functions, *except* for the "gsn" ones, because these are particular to
the gsn_xxxx plotting functions.

> For example, it doesn't appear to me that gsnMaximize does anything on
> the plots produced with the WRF NCL functions, but then, it could be I'm
> doing something wrong elsewhere.

The wrf_xxxx plotting functions are meant to produce canned plots that
are sized for you (based on titles and such), so using gsnMaximize
won't make much sense here. So you're right, I don't think it can
have any effect.

We might be able to do a better job about documenting the wrf_xxxx
functions on the NCL side of things. I'll CC wrfhelp so they have a
heads up.