Re: Hue and saturation representing 2 variables

From: Fred Clare <fredclare_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:56:15 -0600

On Jul 17, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Delire wrote:

> I am trying to use the HSV color system to represent vegetation
> characteristics on a map with NCL.
>
> Basically, I would like the hue to represent the type of leaves
> display (evergreen or deciduous) and the saturation to represent the
> fractional cover of vegetation.
>
> I have played around quite a bit and have not found what I need yet.
> Has anyone done this yet ?

Hi Delire,

Is what you have in mind representing the types by hues (like green
for evergreen and orange for deciduous) and then varying the saturations
for the cover effect? What is the nature of the disappointment you are
having? Not enough of a distinction? Have you looked at example 18
at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/color.shtml

?

If you continue to have problems, maybe show us an example.

Fred Clare