Re: Segmentation fault (core dumped) when ploting

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:36:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Xuguang Sun wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> I met a very strange phenomenon now, when I try to plot by gsn_csm...,
> there always comes the error "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". But I
> don't use plot functions, everying is ok. why?
>
> I use the NCL version 5.1.1, and the environment is cygwin.
>
> SUN Xuguang
>
> School of Atmospheric Sciences, Nanjing University
> 22 Hankou Road, Nanjing 210093
> China
> Tel: +86-025-83597203 (O)
> Email: sunxg007_at_yahoo.com.cn

Dear SUN Xuguang,

There is not enough information here to tell what the problem is.

Do you get any other errors or warnings?

How large is your data array? (Use "printVarSummary".)

Specifically which gsn_csm plotting function are you calling?

If you are running on Cygwin, you might want to try downloading a
special "ncl" we compiled to help with people who were having memory
problems on Cygwin:

To get the file:

      ftp ftp.ucar.edu
      <log in as "anonymous">
      <Use email address as password>
      cd /pub/scd/haley
      get ncl_new.exe.gz
      quit

Once you have the file, gunzip it, make sure it is executable, and
move it to $NCARG_ROOT/bin:

      gunzip ncl_new_exe.gz
      chmod gou+x ncl_new.exe
      mv ncl_new.exe $NCARG_ROOT/bin/.

Now you can use this new NCL executable instead of the one already
installed on your system:

      ncl_new.exe your_script.ncl

If you are comfortable that this executable works, you can replace
your old ncl executable with this new one. You should first make a
copy of your old one:

     mv $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl.exe $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl_old.exe
     mv ncl_new.exe $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl.exe

Let me know if you have any questions.