contour smoothing

From: David B. Reusch <dbr120_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Oct 30 2009 - 10:26:06 MDT

Hello,

I have a long-time-working script that uses gsn_csm_contour_map_polar to
produce panelled plots of Antarctic meteo data and I've been wanting to
experiment with tweaking the contouring so that basically I get a
"smoother" look (for example, get rid of any really small areas that
aren't particularly representative of the larger picture). Rather than
approaching this by changing the cmin/cmax/cint values (which might also
work, I think), I've been trying to use the cnSmoothingOn and
cnSmoothingTensionF resources. The reason I'm writing is that these
don't appear to be doing anything! I've tried a wide range of tension
values with no resulting plot changes. All I've done to the script is
add these two resources -- am I missing something else I need to get
this to work? I didn't see any examples that address these particular
resources (though I know there can't be examples for everything).

I can provide the script/data if needed (I didn't attach the script
because it's *long* and ugly). Or if someone has an example, that would
be great. Also, if the prevailing wisdom is to use cmin/cmax/cint to
accomplish such smoothing, that would be really nice to know too!

This is NCL 5.1.1 on Mac 10.5.8.

Thanks,
Dave Reusch

--