Re: Trouble shooting plot page size using panel plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 09:29:05 MST

Gina,

The gsn_panel routine should automatically try to figure out the
space it needs for the labelbar, *if* you are generating that
labelbar by setting:

    resP@gsnPanelLabelBar = True

If you are doing this, and the labelbar is still getting cut off,
then my guess is that you are trying to panel plots that are not the
same size, and hence the calcuations end up being wrong when it tries
to leave space for the labelbar.

gsn_panel only looks at the size of the first plot to determine a
scale factor to use for the rest of the plots. If one of your other
plots is larger, then this scale factor may not be correct, and your
larger plots will not be scaled down enough.

There's another resource you can use, gsnPanelScalePlotIndex, that
allows you to specify which plot gsn_panel should use as its basis
for resizing all of the plots. This is really only helpful if your
plots are at least close to the same size. See example 24 at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml

Can you send me a sample image? I might be able to determine from
that whether this is the cause of the problem.

Thanks,

--Mary