applying stippling to unrelated contours

From: mark collier <Mark.Collier_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Mar 11 2010 - 02:58:36 MST

Hi,
are there any examples of using stippling (to show areas of
statistical significance in this case) over unrelated filled contours?
Most of the examples focus on the deprecated ShadeLtContour (etc)
forms, and not the gsn_contour_shade form.

I've tried a number of approaches but none seem to work.

In my case I have overlaid vectors on filled contours (using overlays)
quite ok.

I assume it is necessary to plot contours without actually drawing
lines etc and then to use gsn_contour with appropriate arguments,
especially passing the name of the "invisible" plot previously issued?

I can provide a script if this makes it easier, but assume that a good
example may already exist given it is a popular task.

Regards,
Mark.