Plotting high resolution data

From: Matthew Janiga <matthew.janiga_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 09:23:06 MDT

NCL-Talk,

This is a fairly general question. I've noticed that when plotting
high resolution data (for instance several km resolution satellite
data) that NCL takes a very long time to produce a color-filled
contour plot (cnFillMode = AreaFill); a raster plot will be made
fairly quickly (cnFillMode = RasterFill) but don't look as nice. I ask
this question because ncview can draw the color-filled contour plots
quickly enough to animate the dataset like a movie. Is this simply a
limitation of NCL or postscript output? Has anyone else ran into a
simillar problem and/or is this an issue that may be addressed in
future versions of NCL.

Cheers,
Matt

--