Re: Proposed ncl_convert2nc modification

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Apr 06 2010 - 11:11:22 MDT

Hi Julie,
We need more information about what you are asking. And as Dennis
suggested, it would be helpful to have some sample files. NCL adds
information as suffixes to the raw parameter names that come from
various versions of the GRIB parameter tables based on the information
found in the individual GRIB records. The suffixes are needed to
ensure the uniqueness of each variable name as presented in the NCL
context. Note that these variables are actually aggregations along
level and time of individual GRIB records. It is certainly possible to
provide your own parameter table to give any name you would like as
parameter names, but the rest of the name (from the first underscore
character to the end of the name) is needed to keep the data properly
separated into unique individually accessible variables. So we need to
know what you actually mean when you say the "field names change".
Possibly you are getting an incorrect version of the parameter table.
If so it could be a problem with the NCL code.
  -dave