Re: addfiles

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2010 - 10:55:02 MDT

Hi Ed,

It looks like you are using an opendap-enabled version of NCL. If it
a version of NCL earlier than 5.2.0 then all NetCDF file access is
through the OPeNDAP NetCDF client library which limits the number of
simultaneous connections (open files) to 64. Given that there are a
small number of connections that are pre-allocated and not actually
available, it is not surprising that you are running out of
descriptors. The solution is to use the setfileoption procedure:

setfileoption("nc", "SuppressClose", False)

prior to your addfiles call. See the last paragraph of the addfiles
Description section at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfiles.shtml
.

  -dave