Re: Ertel PV question

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon May 10 2010 - 09:55:54 MDT

In 'shea_util.ncl', there are two unsupported functions
which you may find useful. On is for hybrid coordinates,
the other for pressure coordinates.

---
function PotVortHybrid\
             (p:numeric, u:numeric, v:numeric, t:numeric
             ,lat[*]:numeric, gridType[1]:integer, opt:integer)
;
; Compute Isentropic Potential Vorticity on hybrid levels
; CCM Processor User's Guide: May 1994: page B-19
; Original source P Rasch and B Boville
;
---
undef("PotVortIsobaric")
function PotVortIsobaric\
             (p[*]:numeric, u:numeric, v:numeric, t:numeric
             ,lat[*]:numeric, gridType[1]:integer, opt:integer)
;
; Compute Potential Vorticity on constant pressure levels
; Bluestein: Synoptic-Dynamic Meteorology in Midlatitudes
;            pg 264  Eq 4.5.93
;
---
  You can see the function documentation by
%> less $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl
---
http://www.meted.ucar.edu/nwp/pcu3/cases/etapbomb/pvort.htm
Good luck